Patrice, Everyday Ruralty, is hosting Chat’s on the Farmhouse Porch #114 and I’m playing along. Actually, yesterday, I sent Patrice a note with five questions for her Chat. I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing but, as it turns out, Patrice was open to my suggestions and here are the questions and my answers.
1. How many animals do you have? Three dogs, Sadie Lovebug (Rhodesian Ridgeback), Sam P. Spade, Secret Agent (basset hound-terrier-spaniel mix) and Sophie Lauren Butterball (broken coat Jack Russell). Sam and Sophie are rescues. The house cats are Gypsy Rose Lee, Hattie Cat, Levi Lilly, Tippy and Gray Tom who lives outside but runs inside every time the door is cracked open. The American Curly horses are geldings HayJ and Dandy Man and the mares are Lightly, Peaches, Dani Girl, Izzabella, Tumbleweed and Bodacious. Carly Shetland, a 19 year old Shetland ewe, lives in the yard and gets arthritis pain meds twice a day. The other sheep include Romney’s Shetlands, two Merinos, a Merino Shetland cross and a Suffolk Columbia cross. Most have names but, tell the truth, I’ve forgotten some of their names…my bad. There are also four rescued alpacas, 2 geldings and 2 studs but no names there either. Most of the barn cats do not have names and I like it that way; I’m trying to gentle some of them so I can take them to the county pound.
OH, almost forgot the 3 guineas who flew in on the last storm…haven’t named their either.
2. Have you begun Christmas plans, travel, decorations, crafts, menus, etc.? No, I haven’t even begun thinking about Christmas…but I do know I’m staying home this year. I’m not going anywhere except to the barn to take care of chores. Maybe I’ll have smoked salmon, sour cream, capers, red onion and dill on crackers for dinner and for supper, more of the same. Sounds good.
3. Do you celebrate Harvest or Halloween? Halloween has become something extremely different from when I was a child. When I was a child (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), Halloween was simple fun where we could roam from house to house, gathering candy and having fun. So, I celebrate Harvest Season…these last few weeks of Autumn are an opportunity to gather apples to can for apple pie, put up green tomato pickles, make kiwi jam, blueberry conserve and I even bought a mini watermelon to munch on tomorrow.
4. How do you heat your house? Oh my. Hopefully, less expensively than I did last year. Earlier this month, the heating man came to clean my furnace and he found a broken part. He said he thought my oil bill would be less than last year…such a blessing! I also have propane heaters and freestanding gas stove and a wood stove. I still need to move the wood from the barn to the back porch but the chimney and stove are cleaned and ready to be put into service. Oh joy!
5. Do you like dishes with white centers or centers with patterns? I really don’t like the food to fight with the dishes so prefer white centers either with patterns around the edges or all white.
Blessings ~ Patrice ~ Chats ~ my 4-legged family ~ Harvest ~ Christmas ~ this farm & valley ~